A cross-cultural encyclopedia of the main major holy humans in background, studying why humans in quite a lot of spiritual traditions during the global were considered as divinely inspired.
• nearly 1,200 entries together with biographical sketches of holy women and men, plus 20 review articles and sixty four comparative essays
• 270 participants comprise students from 20 countries―all prime specialists at the members and religions they write about
• hundreds of thousands of historic images, illustrations, and work depicting holy males and women
• End-of access bibliographic citations to lead readers to extra resources on every one topic
• Exhaustive topic index
• wealthy cross-referencing constitution that aids navigation between comparable entries
Read or Download Holy People of the World: A Cross-Cultural Encyclopedia (3 Volume Set) PDF
Similar Comparative Religion books
'Ken Carey is likely one of the nice residing lecturers learn him, and you will have wish. 'MARIANNE WILLIAMSO. .. .
A few deep substitute present has began flowing out of the non secular adventures and identification struggles of contemporary generations. after all, we did not create the stipulations or questions of this new age; we obtained stuck in them. the floor shifted, the previous gods departed, the commercial and political utopias crumbled, and the normal solutions have been washed away.
This booklet brings jointly students of quite a few the world's significant civilizations to target the common subject matter of internal transformation. the assumption of the "self" is a cultural formation like several different, and versions and conceptions of the interior global of the individual fluctuate generally from one civilization to a different.
For the reason that Thomas Aquinas first outlined theology as revelation--or the rational elucidation of printed truth--the inspiration has performed a basic position within the heritage of Western theology. This ebook offers a brand new and particular research of the concept that, interpreting its nature, resources, and barriers in all 5 of the foremost scriptural religions of the area: Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism.
Extra info for Holy People of the World: A Cross-Cultural Encyclopedia (3 Volume Set)